• One day beekeeping workshop
• Learn how to care for and keep honeybees in an ethical and sustainable way
• A mix of practical and theory covering topics such as learning about the honeybee, what equipment you will use, how to care for your honeybees and how honey is made
• Opportunity to taste different types of honey
• Hands-on time working with the honeybees at the outdoor beehive
• A tour through the pollinator-friendly gardens
• Refreshments and an organic pizza lunch included
• Beekeeping suits will be provided to use on the day
• You will form part of a small group of a maximum of 10 people
What Can I Expect
Beekeeping in Lincolnshire - perfect for beginners! Spend a day with ethical and artisan beekeeper Jez and his busy bees on his farm on the Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire borders and learn all about honey bees.
With a mixture of talks and hands-on sessions, you’ll learn everything there is to know about starting out in beekeeping. The programme is split into several different sections so you’re not bombarded with too much bee talk at once. There are refreshments on hand and even pizza baked in the outdoor wood oven for lunch. In essence, this is a fun and interactive, yet laid-back look at beekeeping.
Starting with the bee basics, you’ll hear about bee biology, how colonies work, and communicate (truly fascinating stuff!) and their life cycle. Then it’s time to take a look at the life of a beekeeper. You’ll be shown what looking after bees entails, what types of hives there are and how you harvest honey. You will also discover how honey is made and how important pollination is.
Indeed, this Lincolnshire beekeeping workshop goes one step further, by showing you just which flowers and plants you should grow to attract your bees. A wander around this lovely farm garden is pure bliss. And of course, on a warm summer’s day you’ll see the bees flying from their hive to bring back pollen and nectar. It’s honey making happening live in front of your eyes!
Dressed up in your beekeeper suit, you’ll also get to see what goes on inside the busy hive, as these full-day workshops include plenty of interaction with the bees. You’ll be shown how to lift the lids and how to spot the queen bee.
There will also be time to taste the honey produced by Jez’s bees. And it is quite simply delicious. Jez is proud to supply hotels, restaurants, stately homes and local farms shops with his sustainable, ethical British honey. Whether runny or set (Jez will tell you why and how different types of honey exist!), the honey from Jez’s award-winning farm is mouthwateringly good.
Book your place on these one-day beekeeping courses in Lincolnshire and spend a lovely day at the farm near Market Deeping with Jez and his many thousands of bees. All you need to bring is your enthusiasm and a pair of wellies or sturdy boots!
• Selected dates between March and August
• This course starts at 10:00 and finishes at 16:00
• Dates are subject to change as the opening of hives is weather dependent
• Minimum age 16
• Spectators are not permitted
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Please bring a pair of wellies or sturdy boots to wear on the day
• Perfume and cologne is not to be worn on the day as the scent can cause problems for the bees
• Alcohol is not to be consumed the evening before your visit
• You will be required to sign a declaration on the day in order to participate
• If you have any allergies or dietary requirements please make this know at the time of booking
• Langtoft, Lincolnshire
• Conveniently located on the Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire border