• One hour axe throwing session
• Test your skills hitting the targets with your own tomahawk axe
• Learn how to handle and throw the axes safely
• Fully trained instructors are on hand for help and advise
• Play a variety of games, with the finale putting your new skills to the test!
• You will form part of a group of up to 12 participants
What Can I Expect
Mountain man (or woman) alert - it’s axe throwing in Yorkshire time! If you’ve ever fancied throwing a tomahawk into a massive lump of wood in that kind of Neanderthal way, this is the perfect experience for you, available at two locations around Yorkshire.
You will be literally burying the hatchet on this outdoor experience, as you’re shown how to handle and throw a tomahawk into tree stump targets. The first thing most people ask is ‘is it dangerous?’ and the honest answer is yes, these are proper metal and wood tomahawks, not plastic play things. Which is why tomahawk throwing is a controlled activity taking place in a controlled environment.
But are the axes you throw heavy? Well, yes they are quite heavy, but they are weighted in such a way that they are easier to throw, so you don’t need to be the size of a Canadian lumberjack to be able to lob one. This Yorkshire operator reckons kids as young as 12 years old can take part - and targets can always be moved and adapted if necessary.
So how do you throw an axe? As you’d imagine, it’s all about stance and style. An overhand throw is the way to go. This Yorkshire team will show you how to throw your axe safely, starting with the ‘handshake’ grip on the hatchet handle, holding it at the side of your body, before lifting it up and behind your head, to then bend your elbow and release forwards.
What’s quite impressive is the way the axe spins through the air. With any luck you’ll be hearing the distinct ‘thud’ sound as the head sticks fast into the grains of the wood. Success! You’re now a fully fledged axe-thrower. What then follows is a session of challenges and games (burst the balloon, the double-header throw and so on), before a final competition to set the unlucky lobbers from the axe throwing aces.
If you’re looking for an outdoor activity with a difference, axe throwing in Yorkshire has to be a great choice. Tactical, fairly physical and immensely satisfying when you get a direct hit, tomahawking is a real treat!
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All dates are subject to availability at your chosen location
• Minimum age 12
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• Minimum of two vouchers are required for this experience
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Hazlewood Castle, Leeds
• Ripley Castle, Harrogate