• Drive a 44 ton articulated lorry
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• The experience lasts around 1.5 hours in total and you will behind the wheel of the lorry for the majority of this time
• The session includes a slalom course, controlled braking and even how to uncouple a trailer
• Opportunity to try your hand at reversing the lorry
• You will be taught on a 1:1 basis as you drive around the airfield venue
• Certificate of achievement is issued at the end of the session
What Can I Expect
Your chance to drive a proper HGV in an Eddie Stobart style, with just a normal driving licence at the off-road training centre near Exeter in Devon. Make no mistake, these are powerful giants: 44 tonnes, 55 ft long, three-axle trailer, with 460 bhp and a 12 speed automatic gearbox!
Your experience starts with you meeting the truck you’ll be driving and your expert instructor. After being shown round the artic lorry, you’ll then climb aboard for a commentated passenger ride in the cab, with your instructor explaining the ins and outs of driving these kings of the road. After a safety briefing and explanation of the controls, it’s your turn to climb in to the hot-seat for some lorry driving fun.
The massive airfield site boasts huge expanses of tarmac and all without the hindrance of other road users and pedestrians, which is perhaps just as well as the words 'spatial awareness' take on a whole new meaning when trying to do a nifty three point turn in an HGV!
You’ll be driving for approximately an hour and a half, with the instructor by your side to make sure you get the most out of your HGV truck driving experience day. After gaining confidence driving your lorry on the long straights, you will move on to negotiate tight corners, a coned slalom course, reversing and lane changing. You may even have the chance to learn how to uncouple the 45ft trailer.
All that driving uses loads of diesel; with a lorry doing an average of just six miles per gallon, but don’t worry, you won’t be expected to fill up – fuel is all included in the price!
• Courses usually run on selected Saturdays from March to October
• Some selected weekdays may also be available
• Please note: Due to the popularity of this experience bookings are now being taken for September 2018 onwards
• Minimum age is 18 years and drivers must have a full, valid driving licence
• Minimum height is 5'2"
• Please wear flat soled shoes or trainers
• Up to five spectators can come and watch
• They can take turns to ride in the spare cab seat whilst the driving takes place
• There are no refreshment or toilet facilities on site, although facilities are nearby
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The venue is an ex-airfield site near Honiton in Devon with easy access via the M5/A303/A30