• You will be kitted out in camouflage suits and given a safety briefing
• You will be driven down to the site in a military vehicle, usually a six wheel drive truck
• You will be split into two groups
• A driving lap of the tank course in an FV432 Armoured Personnel Carrier (approx 3/4 of a mile )
• Around 30 minutes of passenger ride time in the tank, dependent on the number of participants
• All experiences include light refreshments
What Can I Expect
It's all about all wheel drive military action on this Tank Driving Experience in Galloway! Experience driving the wilds of Dumfries and Galloway in Scotland are the backdrop for your day with an impressive array of British and American-spec military vehicles and tanks. With plenty to look at and do, this is a great experience for any tank fan and their friends and family too.
Your rendez vous point is Penkiln Farm perched on the rugged Galloway coastline. The reception area in the outbuildings is kitted out like an officer's mess with military memorabilia, as well as photos and press cuttings featuring the centre's tanks and vehicles when they have starred in films and TV shows. You'll also see there is a clothes rails full of proper army style camouflage overalls, so find one that fits and get dressed up in the right gear for a spot of tank driving in Galloway.
Once the itinerary for your mission has been explained to you, you'll head to the off road site - on a genuine ex-military 6x6 Supercat ATV or a military truck! Deftly driven by one of the instructors, this is your chance to get a good look at the dirt tracks and trails you might be tackling later on. Don't expect limousine comfort though, the rugged little skid steer machines have a driver's seat upfront with a roll cage and just enough space behind for you to sit on the hard metal sides (there are no seats!) and the six wheeled drive truck gives you a high up perspective as you stand up in the back and get bounced around.
As you reach the starting point, you'll have a good idea of what the driving sessions entail. Going straight in with the heavy boys, it's time to meet the tanks in the wilderness of Scotland. There are FV432 Armoured Personnel Carriers and you have the chance to be official Tank Commander of one of them . What's more, when you're not driving the tank you can check out the Scottish countryside (and the driving skills of your counterparts) as a passenger either in or on the tank.
If it's exhilaration, driving challenges and military-style fun you want, our tanks in Galloway session has to be the one for you. Why not get your loved ones involved in this Scottish tank action day? There are passenger rides on the tanks available throughout your time at camp, so they can also get a taste of what the sensation of fully tracked tank power is like in this remote little corner of Scotland - and that means you can make as much noise as you like with the tanks!
• Available on selected weekend dates throughout the year
• Minimum age is 16
• Passengers are allowed in the vehicles for a fee of £10 payable on the day
• Passenger fee includes loan of camouflage clothing and light refreshments
• Minimum age for passengers is 14 years
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Situated in Galloway, South West Scotland