• The adult will learn how to drive a 17.5 ton FV432
• The junior will ride as a passenger
• Welcome and briefing
• Approximately 15 minutes of hands on driving
• Use of military overalls and a helmet for the experience
• You will form part of a group of three participants
• When not driving you will be riding as a passenger for around 30 minutes
• Please allow approximately one and a half hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
Full-tracked fun for grown ups and little ones on this family tank experience! The idea of these adult and child tank days is really simple. The older and supposedly wiser one gets to drive the 17.5 tonne monster, while the younger one gets to ride onboard as passenger. Great big grins guaranteed across the generations!
The tank in question is the FV432. It’s the British Army’s long-serving Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) - and it’s brilliant fun to drive. The beauty of these things is that they are completely different to driving a car, so you can take one for a spin at this centre without having a driving licence, or even any driving experience for that matter.
And the reason for that is because it’s all about the levers. These fully-tracked vehicles turn by locking off one of the sets of tracks, shifting all the power to one side, which makes the thing turn. It sounds complicated and it does take a bit of co-ordination, but once you’re inside the tank ready to rock and roll, it’ll soon come together and you’ll be charging off in your tank, throwing up the dust as you go.
Don’t forget your precious cargo you'll be carrying onboard. Whilst you’re up front playing out all your childhood tank driving dreams, your nearest and dearest little person will be a passenger. Just like the days when the FV432 saw active service transporting soldiers, it’s going to be bumpy ride for the kids, but they just absolutely love it. Let’s face it, which child wouldn’t delight in being jostled around as you thunder along in a great big tank? You'll be their hero for sure!
This centre near Telford boasts a purpose-built tank track and this is where you’ll be taking the Armoured Personnel Carrier. It’s a pretty cool setting for any young tank rider and the big kids will be beside themselves with excitement too. What’s more, any combination of adult and child works on this family tank experience. It could be dad and son, mum and daughter, grandad and grandson, auntie and niece and so on.
• Selected weekdays and weekends from March until October
• Generally sessions run every other week
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Please note: Due to popularity and limited dates as a result of recent weather conditions, bookings are now being taken for late summer/autumn
• Minimum age for driver is 17
• Minimum age for passengers is 8
• Maximum weight is 22 stone
• Maximum height is 6'4''
• No driving experience or licence is required
• Up to three additional spectators can ride as passengers for a fee of £20 per person (payable upon booking)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Telford, Shropshire