• Learn how to drive a T244 ex-army truck
• Welcome and safety briefing
• Experiences operate on a 1:1 basis
• Once you are used to the controls you will drive the truck on the off road course
• The custom made off road track contains water splashes, knife edges and banked earth to really test your skills
• Choose from 20 or 40 minutes minutes of hands on driving time
• Please allow between 1.5-2 hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
Fancy giving military truck driving around Morpeth a go? Clamber aboard the DAF T244 and take your truck for a drive around this off road course. It's been specifically built for 4x4 vehicles, in particular ex-Army beasts just like this one.
The Leyland DAF T244 is your classic general utility truck used by the Armed Forces. The T244 won a tough drive-off against Bedford and Volvo trucks to become the next generation of Army truck in 1985. Thousands of these all wheel drive, off road capable trucks were delivered from 1990 to the mid-90s. Despite having since been replaced by MAN, there are still lots of DAFs trundling around the world.
This is your chance to have a go at driving a prime example of a DAF T244 military truck. It’s an authentic ex-British Army vehicle and has all the hallmarks of being a proper off roader. There are grills over the headlights, the door mirrors are mounted on huge fames and inside the cab there’s room for the driver and two soldiers alongside.
In the rear cargo bay, with its roll up curtains and drop down sides, there’s room for 20 squaddies. We can’t imagine it was very comfortable back there, so much better to be at the sharp end driving, than being bounced around all over the shop in the rear, as you tackle tricky off road terrain on your drive.
It all feels hugely rugged, chunky and pretty much indestructible when you’re sitting in one of these things. Weighing in at four tonnes, they’re not light, but they are amply powered along by the 5.9l diesel DAF engine. The T244 has impressive payload credentials as well, capable of carrying up to 4000kg and able to tow trailers or artillery set ups.
The DAF came in all shapes and sizes, including everything from troop carriers like this one, to mobile workshops, refuelers and flatbeds. Even the cab roof was strengthened to support the weight of soldiers - and there was also a roof hatch and machine gun option too. Luckily, you won’t be needing any of that on your military truck driving experience - just the driving skills to tackle those serious steeps and deeps.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year from July 2018
• Sessions are generally available between 9am and 6pm
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age is 16
• Maximum weight is 22 stone
• Maximum height is 6'4''
• No driving experience or licence is required
• Spectators are welcome
• One spectator can ride as a passenger for a fee of £15 payable on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• HD filming of your experience is available to purchase on the day for an additional charge of £25
• Felton, Morpeth, Nortumberland