• A walking experience for two people to find unusual ingredients in and around Southall market
• A couple of sample tastings of Indian food and sweets
• A guided walk through speciality shops and supermarkets
• Enjoy Bollywood street music and learn about Indian film, fashion and culture
• Allow two hours for this experience
• You will form part of a group on the day
What Can I Expect
Visit one of the capital's most famous trading places with this tour of Southall Market in London! Southall is a seriously important place for all lovers of spicy, aromatic and exotically fragrant foods and just the smells coming from the various spice, fruit and veg stalls will have you salivating!
Your expert guide for this walk is Monisha Bharadwaj, who graduated from the Mumbai Catering College before coming over to live in London and make her mark on both TV as a food consultant and in print as a writer specialising in modern Indian cuisine. This sassy businesswoman who loves Southall and it's vibrant, thrice weekly market is passionate about Indian culture, including Bollywood, dance and the food, so you are going to be learning a lot on this tour.
Your meeting point is Southall station, with trains from Paddington and Ealing Broadway. As soon as you step out onto Southall's main street you will be mesmerised by the sights, sounds and flavours of this cosmopolitan market. Colourful sari materials hang in shop windows, street stalls sell delicious snacks and the sound of Bhangra beats are all around. Southall and it's market is often affectionately known as 'Little India' and this guided walk will take you into the heart of the area.
As you meander around Southall market, you will be able to take a taste of the Indian sweets being sold, discover new spices and flavours, as well as maybe even try Paan the after dinner leaf that is stuffed with spices and rose jam to be chewed in the mouth after a meal. A brilliant way to immerse yourself in the culture and foods of India, but in London.
• Three to four dates a year, subject to availability
• Excellent to sample the flavours of India, its foods, and culture
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Southall in West London
• Meet at Southall Railway Station