• A Gin or Whisky Tasting Experience in Greenwich
• Try six different types of Gin under the guidance of an expert
• Canapés to complement the tasting
• Discuss the different production methods and how different botanicals affect the overall flavour
• Try each Gin with different mixers to see what affect it has on the taste
• Try a Gin from the local distillery
• Learn about the different production methods and the affects of different types of aging
• Taste six different types of Whisky
• Canapés to accompany the tasting
• Learn what the difference is between Whisky and Whiskey
• Experiment the different ways to drink Whisky
What Can I Expect
Let the spirits do the talking with a choice of gin tasting in London or whisky tasting! Whichever masterclass you decide on, it's going to be informative, fun, lighthearted, with a rather fine line up of bottles to work your way through.
Head tutor Julia certainly knows her stuff. She is very good at hosting these classes and keeps your attention throughout with her banter and lively presenting style. And when it comes to the spirits you'll be tasting, there's plenty of well-chosen gin and whisky to go round, with canapés too.
If you're rather partial to a G&T, you will love the gin masterclass. You'll discover some fascinating facts about these juniper based spirits, reaching right back to William of Orange who first made gin popular in the UK when it was known as the Dutch 'Jenever'. The French called it 'Genievre' and the Italians say it's 'Ginepo'…but we now know it simply as gin.
Not all gins are the same though. There is gin, distilled gin and London gin. Who'd have thought the capital was so intertwined with gin culture - and a high quality one at that, as to be classed at London Gin it must be at least 70% with no artificial ingredients, very low sugar content (hence what makes then very dry) and certainly no colour.
As for those of us who prefer the oaky smoked golden glow of a good whisky, these masterclasses will improve your knowledge no end. Simple questions we dare not ask are answered (such as why can it be whisky or whiskey?), some of the finest Irish tipples will be wheeled out for you to taste and you get to sample single malts and blended examples too. There's even a little stars and stripes flag-flying when you try American Bourbon.
So if you're a swish gin and tonic kind of person go gin tasting in London - the home of gin - or if you're more of an earthy whisky fan, do whisky tasting! This London venue in Greenwich is the perfect meeting place to get to know your spirits and meet fellow liqueur fans too. By the end of these masterclasses you'll know things like the fact that your botanicals are your natural flavourings and that ageing is key in great whisky production!
• Selected dates throughot the year, subject to availability
• Minimum age 18
• Spectators are not permitted
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The Mitre Hotel, an 18th century grade II listed building in Greenwich, London