Choose from the following voucher options:
Two Hour Power Kite or Kite Buggy
• Short theory session about the wind, weather, and safety
• Learn the set up procedure and safety release system
• Launch, land and relaunch your powerkite
• You will be using powerkites with sizes ranging from 0.6m to 4.7m
• Brief introduction including safety, site assessment and theory
• Learn kite flying skills
• Once in the buggy you will be introduced to the steering to get you moving in both directions and whizzing up and down the beach
Four Hour Kite Landboarding
• Brief introduction including safety, site assessment, wind and weather and riding directions
• Then onto the beach where you will learn kite control
• Learn how to operate the board and kite together, controlled stops and how to travel back upwind and turning
1 Day Kite Surfing
• A one day introductory course in kite surfing
• Learn the basics and kite control
• The course covers safety, site assessments and kite set ups
• Once in the water you will learn body dragging and self rescue techniques
• Course handout pack
• Allow 6 hours for this experience
What Can I Expect
The wind will literally carry you when you give kite sports at Camber Sands a go! Taking advantage of the vastness and flatness of the Dungeness Peninsula and the great thermal winds, this land and watersports centre is superbly placed for power kites and kite surfing on the beaches around Camber Sands.
Learning how to control a power or traction kite is the basis for all kite sports and this Camber Sands set up offers specific two hour courses in this to get you a sound basis for progressing to other kite-based activities afterwards. Of course, it's great fun in itself and it's nothing like the kites you might've flown as a kid, these are proper flying machines that have some serious pull.
The other two hour intro session offered is in kite buggying. Once again, basic kite skills are taught before you can zoom off in a three wheel cart along Camber's long and flat stretches of sand. Your feet do all the steering, whilst you control the kite that powers you along with your arms, so co-ordination skills will be tested to the max, but it's one of the easiest kite sports to get the hang of and, as you'll soon find out, you can hit up speeds of up to 50mph along Camber Sands!
Blending snowboarding and kiting skills, the next session our Camber Sands team offers requires a certain sense of balance. You'll be on a specially built board that looks a bit like an off road skateboard with fat wheels and the kite will provide your motricity, thanks to the wind and your new found wind 'reading' prowess, of course. All this is done over the course of four hours, combining a class room theory session, with plenty of time on the beachfront whizzing up and down.
If you've always wanted to try kite surfing there's the full day course that gives beginners a good, sound basis for progressing in the sport. It has to be said, it's only a foolhardy kite surfer who launches themselves out on the water without any training, so this intensive session gives you the basics of what being in the open waters of the sea is like with a kite.
Once again, Camber Sands is an ideal location to learn about kite surfing, as winds are not too strong and waves not too extreme. After an initial classroom session to get your head round some of the most important theory and those essential kite handling skills, it's off out into waist deep water with a foil and a harness to feel the incredible sensation of body drag - the first step to kite surfing proper.
All of these courses include those initial skills needed for controlling power kites. And if you get hooked on any of these kite sports at Camber Sands, there are further courses and sessions offered to really hone your skills and get you using that 'wind window' like a pro. If you're set on kite surfing, the initial one day Camber Sands course must be successfully completed before you can go on to adding the actual kite board into the mix.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to availability and weather conditions
• The 1 Day Kitesurfing course is available on weekdays only
• Minimum age 10
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Please bring warm clothes or sunglasses and sunscreen depending on the weather
• Sturdy shoes should be worn
• Camber Sands, East Sussex