• One day fishing trip for one or two anglers
• Vintage tackle, all bait and equipment are provided
• Permission to fish the only private weirpool on the Thames
• Fish for the usual river species including Pike, Perch, Chub, Roach etc
• Expert tuition and guidance is included
• Luncheon hamper and refreshments are provided
What Can I Expect
Take time out for a day of traditional Thames river fishing! Far from the hustle and bustle of city life, you’ll find the ultimate in tranquility in these private fishing experiences on the Thames in Berkshire.
Your host will be expert angler Steve Roberts, who knows these waters well. In fact, as a six year old boy he caught his first fish from the Thames. It’s still his favourite place to go fishing, in particular the weir pools at Pangbourne.
What makes these Thames fishing experiences so unique is that they are in homage to the Thames Professional fishermen of years gone by who took their gentleman anglers fishing. Everything is authentic, right down to the split cane rods and centrepin reels Steve favours. You’ll even be sat on a traditional wicker seat basket too in the very punt owned by the previous 'last Thames Professional' fisherman.
Steve is a superb host. He certainly knows his stuff, and is an Angling Trust qualified fishing coach and associate member of the Game Angling Instructors Association. He’s a friendly and softly-spoken chap, who loves nothing more than to show you the delights of ‘old school’ fishing, using equipment that could be up to 100 years old, which ‘still works as well as it’s always done’, as Steve will show you.
There are some great fishing places on this part of the Thames. Steve will take you to a part only accessible by boat and secluded by picturesque islands. He'll row you into a private weir pool and, using over 30 years of local knowledge, have you fishing for the chub, pike, perch and roach that abound there. With a skilled guide you'll fish the deeps and shallows, the rushing streams and the quiet corners your boatman knows so well.
As you’ll be spending all day fishing the Thames with Steve, lunch is included. And it’s a ‘jolly good lunch’ as Steve would say. Made with produce from his own kitchen garden you’ll tuck into pork pies, cheeses, cured meats, sandwiches and pickles in the fishing punt under the shade of the overhanging willow trees.
If this Thames river fishing day sounds idyllic, that’s because it is. As soon as you’re out on the boat time somehow seems to slow down with Steve at the oars, relax with Steve's calm and patient manner, which is the perfect atmosphere for getting you in a laid back fishing mood!
• The course fishing season starts in mid June and runs through to mid March
• Trout fishing can be arranged between April-September upon request
• Experiences generally start at 9am finishing at around 5pm
• Alternative start times can be organised by prior arrangement
• No minimum age, however under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Participants should have a good, general level of fitness and be able to climb in the boat
• Spectators are very welcome to wave you off on your journey
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• A Ploughmans style lunch is generally provided, although other options are available upon request
• Specific dietary requirements can be accommodated for upon request
• Fishing trips depart from Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8