• Learn the skills you need to know to get started on catching your own fish under exclusive instruction
• Areas that will be covered during your tuition include all equipment and set up, watercraft, fly casting and many fishing techniques
• After your session you will be able to cast at a far distance accurately and quickly to rising fish, have a deeper knowledge of the correct flies to use, know how to haul to increase distance and how to catch a good number of fish
• Tackle and permits are included
• You will for part of a small group of up to four participants
What Can I Expect
Get hooked on this peaceful waterside sport with this fly fishing Derbyshire course! Headed up by David Johnson, you'll appreciate his personable style of tuition and his enthusiasm for all things fish and angling. David is highly qualified game angling coach and is a member of the Salmon and Trout Association, so he knows a thing or two about our scaley friends.
All experiences start with introductions and selecting the right rod and reel for you, with David and his team explaining hints and tips as you go. The fly fishing takes place at a range of lakes in Derbyshire, including a 50 acre park on the edge of the Peak District near Chesterfield, which boasts fishing from dawn until dusk and has well-laid out paths making the lakes suitable for disabled visitors too.
The main lakes used for fly fishing by this Derbyshire-based school are re-stocked weekly with trout from the on site hatchery, so you should be fishing at least 1.5 to 2lb trout. David will explain to you just how important it is to know which fly to choose to fish with and when, with this Derbyshire fishery being particularly successful for fishermen and women casting little black buzzer, cat's whisker or bloodworm imitation flies.
Of course, that last sentence might mean absolute nothing to you, but that's the whole idea of these workshops - you get practical help and tuition to take on the reel and the rod and by the end of it you'll know the necessary jargon to get you started in the world of fishing on the fly. Courses run with a maximum size of four novice anglers to one expert for a 'all in it together' type session.
We think anyone interested in having a go at angling will love these fly fishing in Derbyshire days out with David, as he is patient and very passionate about his angling. He loves the way fishing is a challenge, yet incredibly relaxing and makes you feel connected to nature as you take time to appreciate your lakeside surroundings - and maybe even catch your fish supper!
• Experiences are available seven days a week from March to November
• Courses last 4 hours and begin at 8:30am
• Comfortable, waterproof outdoor clothing and sturdy footwear is recommended as well as a hat and sunglasses
• There is a minimum age of 12 years old to attend the tuition sessions at Barlow
• Chest waders are provided
• All participants under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian throughout the day
• Depending on the venue selected, spectators may be permitted and can be confirmed with the operator when booking
• Facilities on site at Barlow include a log cabin and snack bar serving hot and cold drinks and food
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Barlow Trout Fishery in the village of Barlow