• One 150ft Powerfan jump - a sophisticated parachute simulator
• Experience the sensation of free fall and in the final 30 feet the Powerfan will guide you in for a smooth and gentle landing
• All safety equipment and training is provided
• Allow spending an hour on site
What Can I Expect
Take one parachute simulator, put it indoors and you’ve got a very special Powerfan experience to scare you witless! Your base for this indoor parachute simulator jump is Magna - the gigantesque science museum in a former Sheffield steel factory. It’s dark, atmospheric and brilliantly lit with stage lighting to give you a real build up before you take that step into the unknown.
This unique indoor parachute experience is the world’s highest, coming in at a dizzying 150ft above the ground. It’s actually an updated and improved version of the early parachute simulators used to train pilots and paratroopers. It’s a real heart stopper and in some ways, even more dramatic than the real thing.
The Powerfan ‘free-fall’ is longer and a different sensation to when you bungee and there’s no bouncing you up and down of the end of an elastic bungee band. And unlike a real parachute jump, on this indoor simulated version there’s no tricky landing to master either, as the descender brings you back to earth gently.
Your experience starts with you making the long climb of 143 steps to the heart of the action - the Jump Station. Just conquering this is quite a feat, as there are metal steps and a vertical ladder to negotiate to get there.
Then with your harnesses and equipment checked once again by a technician, you are securely hooked on to the cable which is controlled by the Powerfan, which is the all-important device that controls your rate of descent. Take a peak into the abyss under your feet. That’s when you realise it’s so hard to see anything, you’re not quite sure where you’ll be falling. Then all you have to do is step off .... into the darkness and a drop of 150ft!
First of all you drop at 97% of the possible top speed, so although this is a simulator, this parachute ‘jump’ gives you a very realistic free-fall sensation. For a few moments you feel the just like a real skydiver as you hurtle towards the earth at a serious rate of knots. Your heart will be in your mouth until the Powerfan kicks in, slowing your descent in the last 30ft, allowing you to step gently back onto terra firma.
Being inside the unique setting that it is, you can try the parachute simulator whatever the weather and it’s certainly and impressive place to try this crazy Powerfan descender. Of course, spectators are welcome so your nearest and dearest can cheer you on whilst you make that 150ft leap of faith into…nothing!
• Selected Saturdays, usually at least once a month
• This activity is held indoors so will not be affected by the weather
• Minimum age is 11 years
• 11-15 year olds require a parent or guardian's permission and signature
• The maximum weight limit is 18.12 stone
• There are no height restrictions
• There is no maximum age limit however participants over 50 years of age require a signed doctors medical certificate
• This experience is not suitable for pregnant women or those with high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, epilepsy or asthma
• Comfortable clothing, such as tracksuit and trainers, is recommended
• Boots are not permitted
• All other equipment will be supplied on the day
• Spectators are welcome and encouraged to bring cameras to capture the excitement of the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Photographs of your jump are available to purchase with prices from £15
• The Abyss at Magna, located at the Magna Science Adventure Centre in Rotherham