The Half Day
• A welcome and tour of the falconry centre or collection
• Meet and learn about the characteristics and behaviour of different birds
• Handle and fly a variety of birds 'from the glove'
• Plenty of photo opportunities to capture your experience
• Allow spending half a day at the venue with around 3 hours handling and flying the birds (2 hours at Kent location)
The Full Day
• Welcome from your falconer
• Meet and greet with a selection of birds usually including Hawks, Owls and Falcons
• Learn how the birds are trained, exercised and handled
• Get hands on and fly the birds from a gloved hand
• The days usually last between 5 and 7 hours
• You will be forming part of a small group of others on the day
• Lunch is also included (Excluding Fife, Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire Knockholt & Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Rutland & York locations)
What Can I Expect
Make some new feathered friends with our Bird of Prey experiences nationwide! Valid at a range of UK locations, our vouchers provide the opportunity to get up close to these marvellous raptors and watch them fly across the open skies, before returning to perch regally on your gloved hand.
IntotheBlue offers half and full-day sessions with these spectacular birds of prey and it’s an experience not to be missed. Not only will your course cover the key facts and information about the birds you’ll be meeting covering everything from their natural habitat and hunting technique, to breeding and diet, you’ll also be given the opportunity to watch them hunt and fly to the glove, as well as be shown how to handle these stunning creatures. Locations vary in their selection of birds on offer, but you can be fairly sure of meeting a selection of falcons, hawks and owls and maybe even an eagle or two!
Most of these experiences take place in a small group, giving you plenty of time to get to know the different birds of prey at your chosen centre. For the half-day activities, you’ll listen to an expert bird handler discuss the history of the various birds of prey found around the world, as well as more detailed information about the specific birds at the site.
You’ll also be able to spend quality time handling the birds, as well as donning the thick leather glove in preparation for the thrill of having these beautiful flyers perched on your fist. With their razor-sharp claws and proud beaks, this is an unmissable photo opportunity, so don’t forget your camera!
Full-day courses give you additional time with the birds of prey, working with experienced bird handlers. Many centres also offer the opportunity for a ‘hawk walk’, which is a relaxing stroll out in the local countryside with one or more of the birds, watching them hunt and fly in a more natural way. This is a fantastic place to snap some really great bird-of-prey shots, as they glide gracefully through the branches and canopy, their keen eyes fixed on the ground in search of food. For your own sustenance, many falconry sites provide a lunch as part of your activity bundle, meaning you’re well refuelled for your afternoon session with the birds.
Whatever experience you choose for your bird of prey day, you’ll marvel at the close relationship these expert handlers have with their birds and get to see just how efficiently they work together as a team to be highly successful hunters and flyers. Watching these epic birds you can understand why hawking was traditionally the sport of kings and we think the lucky participant will certainly feel like raptor royalty on these fabulous full and half-day avian adventures.
Our bird of prey vouchers offer total flexibility, making them a great gift for bird enthusiasts and anyone with a passion for predators. If you’ve got a specific venue in mind, please visit our main falconry section for a great choice of falconry and birds of prey experiences, or for something different, IntotheBlue offers a wide selection of interesting gift ideas on our main gifts page.
• Experiences run on most weekends and weekdays throughout the year
• Most of the activities are subject to weather conditions, however, the Cheshire venue has an indoor flying arena in case of rain
• There is a minimum age of 16
• Under 18's must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• Limited spectator places are usually available and give friends and family the opportunity to see the birds
• Spectator places should be booked in advance with the operator, an additional spectator fee applies and is payable on site
• Spectators are not permitted at the West Sussex location
• Most venues provide tea and coffee for guests
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• You are advised to dress for the weather as activities are outdoors
• Sturdy footwear or Wellington Boots are recommended
• Bedfordshire, near Biggleswade
• Birmingham, near Hagley (half days only)
• Cheshire, near Northwich
• Derbyshire, Risley (half days only)
• Dorset, near Lyme Regis
• Essex, Billericay (Half days only)
• Gloucestershire, near Hardwicke
• Herefordshire, Ross on Wye
• Kent, Knockholt near Sevenoaks (half days are two hour sessions)
• Kent, Tunbridge Wells
• North Yorkshire, near Skipton
• Northamptonshire, Holdenby
• Northumberland near Wark
• Rutland, Greetham
• Sussex, near Chichester
• West Yorkshire, Halifax (half days only)
• Yorkshire, York