See what it's like to be a student pilot on this Glider Pilot Day in Stratford Upon Avon! This very special experience gives you an in-depth look into what is involved in gaining your National Private Pilot's Licence (NPPL), as well as a 40 minute flight in a self-launching glider.
This pilot day is excellent value for money and aimed at anyone who's always fancied themselves as being a qualified glider pilot. Your day starts with an extended classroom-style briefing with fellow student pilot types where the logistics, statistics and characteristics of glider flying is explained to you.
Your glider pilot day in Stratford continues with the real deal - a full 40 minutes in the glider. As soon as you have taken off you will be able to start your 'training' by having a go at flying level and straight at altitude and maybe even banking and turning. You will then glide back down to the ground with the instructor back at the controls for landing.
- Allow spending four hours on site
- Welcome with tea or coffee
- Pre flight briefing and introduction to the principles of piloting a glider
- Tour of the aircraft and explanation of the equipment and controls
- A 1:1 40 minute lesson where you'll experience both powered flight and gliding
- Q&A session with a professional glider pilot instructor
- A set of pilot notes for you to take home
- You'll be joining a small group on the day
- These special pilot days take place on selected weekdays and weekends from April to September
- Long Marston Airfield near Stratford upon Avon
- Minimum age 10
- Maximum height 6'3"
- Maximum weight 15 1/2 stone
- Spectators are very welcome and will be offered complimentary tea and coffee whilst you enjoy the experience of your lifetime
- Good range of amenities and attractions both on and local to the airfield for friends and family
- Local B&Bs within easy reach of the airfield
- On site catering van open 07:00 to 14:00 Monday to Friday for drinks, snacks and butties