• A flying lesson in either a two seater or four seater aircraft
• Choose from 30 or 60 minute flight durations
• Lessons also include an introduction and pre-flight safety briefing
• A personalised flying lesson certificate
If there's one name that's synonymous with flight training and flying lessons it's Cranfield. Home to the university with a world-renowned reputation for being at the forefront of all things aeronautics, this busy little corner of Bedfordshire is a great place to take your first lessons in flying.
Our Cranfield-based flying school is long-established and makes the most of the excellent facilities on the airfield - namely air traffic control for aerodrome and approach control seven days a week and night flying facilities too.
In fact, Cranfield is known as aviation's 'best kept secret'. Many are aware of the airfield's background in flying, having opened as a strategic RAF airbase in 1935, playing a major role in WW2 and then pivotal in flying education and training ever since, but few of us know that it is fast becoming a preferred airport for business jets and general aviation traffic. This is because there are no slot restrictions, excellent apron services, efficient and fast customs and immigration procedures and even an exclusive airport lounge.
So now you know a little bit about the background of Cranfield and the flying school, what will your lesson involve? Well, the emphasis is very much on fun and giving all budding pilots an insight into what the bustling world of general aviation is like here at Cranfield. You will be flying in either a two or four seater training plane for your lessons and the first thing you'll realise is that you feel really quite small in your little plane compared to the business jets as you taxi along one of the two two asphalt runways here, both of which are over 1500m long and very wide.
Your experience at Cranfield in a private plane will be a real eye-opener. Listen to the pre-flight checks and communications with the control tower and then observe the take off from your privileged seat up front in the cockpit next to the pilot. As soon as you've achieved straight and level flight your lesson begins proper and it's your turn to actually fly the thing!
Thrilling, entertaining and quite frankly so much more involving than being an airline passenger, these flying lessons at Cranfield are a brilliant way to get airborne. We've got a whole host of flight durations on offer and if you fancy sharing your air time experience, go for the four seater options, as this Cranfield flying school will let you invite someone to fly as your 'backseat buddy'. So go on, treat a plane-mad loved one you know to a lesson!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year subject to availability and weather conditions
• Cranfield Airport, Bedfordshire
• Minimum age is 14. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Two forms of identity including photographic ID will be required on the day
Two seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 14 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 1ins
Four Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
• Friends and family are welcome to watch
• Spectators can take photos and videos of the take off and landing
• If booking a four seater experience an interested observer may fly with you at no additional cost, at the discretion of the pilot