- Every luncheon guest receives a 'runabout ticket' for the day allowing you on as a passenger on any train and you are free to roam around the platform, workshops and museums.
- Your table on the steam train luncheon departure is reserved for you.
- The journey takes around 1.5 hours.
- Visit IntotheBlue's home page to see more experience days
available by personalised gift voucher or if you're looking for gift inspiration then pop along to our main gift ideas section for more IntotheBlue special occasion gift
All aboard the South Yorkshireman for a superb steam train lunch in Loughborough! This year round Saturday service runs on the renowned and much-loved Great Central Railway line and departs from the main base at Loughborough Central station. It's also one of our most popular of all our experiences!
The beautifully restored carriages of the South Yorkshireman immediately transport you back to the truly golden age of steam trains. Unlike modern rail services, these Loughborough luncheon departures ensure you will definitely get a seat (and it's a large, armchair-style comfy one at that) and a table (fully set for dining with proper cutlery and crockery), when you book for these first class restaurant cars. You will have the choice of the north or south carriage and there are tables for two and for four guests to sit together.
As you roll gently out of Loughborough, you can sit back in your seat, watch the plumes of steam billowing from the train's locomotive and enjoy the stunning vistas of the unspoilt countryside. Your four course meal will be served at your table by the courteous and smartly dressed service team and includes a choice of main dishes in a classic British cuisine style, with vegetarian options too. What you might not realise is that there is a kitchen car onboard, where all the food is prepared and plated - quite a feat!
Midway through your steam adventure, the train will glide to a halt, whilst you are eating your lunch, on one of the loveliest spots in the Loughborough area - the viaduct that spans the Swithland Reservoir. Chances are you'll see wildfowl enjoying the tranquility of the water and we think there is no better way to spend a Saturday lunch time than this!
Once you arrive at the end of the line in Leicester North, your plates will have been collected and you'll most likely fancy a little refreshing walk, so here's where you can get off the train, have a look around the station and then hop back onboard for your return journey and your coffee and mints.
Every diner booked on the steam train lunch from Loughborough also has a first class 'runabout' ticket giving you unlimited travel for the day of your experience, so you can make the most of it and see all the attractions on the eight miles of mainline track and three other stations. Other steam train trips are available.
- The South Yorkshireman Luncheon train runs on most Saturday lunchtimes from January through to November.
- Departures are at 13.15, returning at 14.45.
- On booking, the operator may ask for you to make your choices in advance.
- We also offer an overnight Railway Break experience at this location, details can be found in our Unusual Breaks section.
- The trains depart from the Great Central Station in Loughborough then head south (at a sedate speed to avoid spilling the soup!) for around 4 miles where the train pauses to take in the beautiful views from the Swithland viaduct, near Rothley.
- The train follows the same route North back to Great Central Station.
- The Central station has good access from the M1 (J23) and A6.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- There are full facilities on board the trains and at the stations.
- Spectators wanting to see off the train will need to buy a platform ticket which allows access to the museums.
- There are disabled facilities available on site.
- Children are welcome on these lunchtime trips.
- The operator can also assist and advise on local accommodation in the area.
The South Yorkshireman
Soup of the Day
Roast leg of Lamb with a Date and Herb Stuffing
Coq Au Vin
Both served with a Chef's selection of vegetables
A vegetarian main course can be booked in advance
Asparagus Tart with Hollandaise Sauce
Peppers Stuffed with Mediterranean Risotto
Caramelised Red Onion and Goat's Cheese Filo Tart
Queen of Puddings with Creme Anglais
Coffee and Chocolate Mints