Cooking Classes at the Edinburgh School of Food and Wine - sign up for these one day courses and boast your culinary skills! These classes are suitable for both the keen amateur and the complete beginner with a distinctive teaching style.
This school has been running cookery classes in Scotland since 1987 and is based in a lovely 18th century manor house at Newliston, just a few miles outside the Scottish capital. Many of the courses are for those wanting careers in catering, but these single day workshops aim to take the stress out of entertaining at home and even making that task of preparing meals for your family and friends enjoyable.
Tuition in Edinburgh is based on demonstrations, followed by time for each student to cook up the same dish themselves. It's all about teaching the methods of cookery, rather than just blindly copying recipies, such as 'mise en place'. Each class covers a different subject area from regional themes to cooking styles (see below for examples of course contents from Indian or Italian to Game or Sushi) and if novice cooks ask in advance, the school will try to incorporate special requests.
All cookery workshops begin at 10:00 with a short demonstration of the first dish to be prepared, followed by a 'hands-on' class where you will learn techniques and modern presentation.The classes continue with a mix of short demonstrations, practical cookery sessions, discussions and tastings.
As the cookery courses in Edinburgh come to end, you get the chance to sit down and enjoy the creations you have made, washed down with a nice glass of wine. This also gives you time chat with your kitchen mates and talk about what you've learnt, ask any questions and discuss how you found your class at the prestigious Edinburgh School of Food and Wine.
• A full day of cooking, taught in small groups
• Watch a skilled chef demonstrate how to produce three dishes
• Get hands on and cook the dishes yourself with guidance from chef
• Halfway break to enjoy your starter
• Increase your cookery knowledge and confidence in a relaxed environment.
• Enjoy your final two dishes along with a glass of wine
See our main
page for more workshops around the country.
• Courses run most Saturdays, starting at 10:00
• The theme of each course will vary throughout the year to take advantage of seasonal ingredients
• Newliston, 12 miles West of Edinburgh City Centre
• This experience isn't suitable for spectators however there is a huge variety of things to see and do in or around Edinburgh and the school will be pleased to offer advice
Course Themes vary from month to month and include:
• Thai, French, Seasonal Scottish, Italian Spring, Indian, Mediterranean, Italian Autumn, Entertaining with Style, Fish, Introduction to Butchery, Classic Baking, Fish and Shellfish, Curries of the World, Patisserie, Tapas, Outdoor Entertaining, Gluten Free Cooking, Vegetarian Cooking, Game, Desserts